Nav Menu

XinShe Castle (新社古堡) in Taichung, Taiwan

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

XinShe Castle

"She paused in the middle of the cobblestone bridge, a contemplative expression brewing in her eyes. Overhead, heavy gray clouds hung in the sky and gathered into murky masses between the peaks of lush, green mountain hills. The fog seemed to encircle the castle grounds, looming eerily in the distance like ghosts waiting for purpose. As the rain gradually lightened up, no longer pelting angrily against the cold stone paths, she found the clarity to appreciate her surroundings. If she closed her eyes and let her mind drift, she could imagine herself in a different time and a different place, years and years past, miles and miles away."


When I visited XinShe Castle, it was pouring. The wind beat against my umbrella and the rain fell wildly, soaking my sandal-clad feet until my toes turned wrinkly. With every step I took, the wet fabric of my black maxi skirt plastered awkwardly against my legs. By all means my experience at XinShe should have been miserable, especially because the rain didn't slow until the latter half of my visit. But it was my last full day in Taiwan for the summer, and I wanted to enjoy myself despite the weather.

XinShe Castle
Walking around, one can observe the painstaking amount of detail that went into the design of the XinShe Castle grounds. Fashioned in a European architectural style, the castle itself is made of weathered stone. However, the landscape surrounding the castle seamlessly integrates the naturally lush green foliage of Taiwan's XinShe mountains. One feels harmony taking in the visual and physical juxtaposition of West and East.

Perhaps my favorite part of the trip was sitting down in a cafe and having afternoon tea. Relaxing on the terrace overlooking the entire grounds is a peaceful activity for one to rest sore (and in my case, wet) feet. One would feel even better with a sweet slice of creamy New York-style cheesecake on the table. Given that XinShe Castle is a tourist attraction, the menu is relatively pricy, but the Western-style desserts are delectable. My aunt and I ordered ourselves each a slice of cheesecake, while my sister ordered tiramisu. Portions are small relative to what we could get for cheaper at a diner back in the States, but the experience is what we paid for.

Cheesecake at XinShe Castle
Tiramisu at XinShe Castle
Overall, XinShe Castle is a beautiful place to visit. Apparently it can get crowded on finer weather days, especially during the spring when flowers blossom and the summer when native and foreign tourists abound. However, on rainy days like the day I visited, the rain gives XinShe Castle a different, unexpectedly haunting aura that is equally beautiful – mysteriously beautiful almost, as if one should yearn for a time that one has never experienced, but has only heard of.

No comments :

Post a Comment